Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Softball Umpire.....ME?!?

Yup, that's me! I went to my very first game of Autumn's tonight and got to be a field umpire. Holy crap was I scared to death!! The main dude (other umpire, who has millions of games of experience under his belt.....errr sweatpants) asked me if I knew it at all and I said, "well, I played once upon a time, do I just call safes and outs in on the bags?" He then proceeded to give me the whole run down of rules and what I am supposed to do and asking me if I was sure I could do it, cause he didn't want to have to overrule one of my calls. Do you think in his head he was thinking, "oh crap, this woman doesn't know shit and I gotta put up with her on my field!" Yeah, probably. Oh well. I watched 1st and 2nd base....called them like I saw 'em and only had a few minor mishaps. I learned a lot and think I would like to be trained to do it more often. It was fun. I felt powerful out there, like at any time I could call someone out and send them back to their dugout! Ahhhhhh....the feeling of power!

BTW....Autumn's team lost. They are doing pretty good though considering they are all pretty new players this year. They learn more and more every game.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Hey Joanna! I finally got to your blog, and I think it is awesome! I couldn't get the original link to work, and then I sort of *blush* forgot about it til I saw that the name on your comments was a hyperlink. I clicked on it, and here I am! I love all your pics. Either you have utterly gorgeous children, you take really good pics, or both. Hey, how did you get that band of pics across the top of the blog? I want that, too!!

Congrats too on the Weight Watchers thing. You will do great, but even if you don't, I have always thought that you are an incredibly beautiful woman, so strut your stuff!