Monday, July 21, 2008

More Fish


Kristen caught three and I caught two... but my two were the big ones. These are pink salmon we caught this morning on our trip to Valdez. The limit is 6 each, but we stopped at 5. This was a last minute detour on our trip and between stopping at the store to get poles and tackle, getting to the fishing location and catching our 5 fish, a total of about an hour was lost. We only spent about 20 minutes fishing.... if you wanna call it that. Kristen had one on her first cast.... but it got away... and took her hook with it. While she was gone to the car to get the weights we forgot there, I caught my first one. It was a decent sized female... into the cooler it went. Then I set up her line, but she wasn't sure about fishing yet... I went back at it and about the third cast had my second one on.... another slightly larger than the first... it's the big one in the picture here. Well Kristen was finally ready.... she cast... she caught and I got the hook out. While I was killing this one and throwing it in the cooler, she caught another. While I was killing that one and getting it in the cooler, she pulled in the smallest of the lot.... Just as I reached down to grab it, the hook pulled loose. The slippery thing got away and back into the water... I waved at it figuring it was gone and we'd just let it go but the damn thing turned around and came back out of the water.... so I figured this little guy musta wanted one of the ladies in our cooler so we kept him. Now this is really about how fast all of this happened... so I really didn't feel like it was any more fishing than going to the store, grabbing a package of fish and placing it in the shopping cart.... but we still had fun. Best of all I knew I was sending it all down to Minnesota with Kristen so I would't have to smell the stinky things cooking at my house. Hope you all enjoy it down there!


1 comment:

Denise said...

The fish are not smelly when they are so very fresh... days after we cooked the fish and still have some tell tale signs of them around the kitchen (it is getting a good cleaning today)but no fish smell ;o) Thanks to the fish catchers, cleaners, shippers, and Joanna's wonderful salmon recipe we had a very nice meal without the fishy smell :o)
Denise