Friday, June 6, 2008

Why, why, why, why...but why?!

I actually didn't totally realize how much I said, "Because I said so" until after starting this blog. And I find myself trying to give other answers, but when you keep hearing, "why?" after each answer you give, it breaks you down a bit and you have to reply with something more powerful! And then you still get a "why?". I really dislike that word. I know all the experts would say its great when kids ask why, they are being inquisitive and learning so much and nerve pathways in the brain are growing and connecting and if they don't use them, they lose them. Well from my perspective, my kids can stand to lose a few! If I could just have 33 less "why's?" a day....we would be doing good and I wouldn't even be writing about it.

Do you really know where your kids get their "brains"? They steal them from you with every little question and why that follows...it slowly (or not so slowly in my case) eats at your brain, so while their brain is growing, yours is shrinking! I know you have heard of "mommy brain"....it starts with simple little things like losing your keys or forgeting the diaper bag at home and grows into forgetting your kids at the grocery store (or the shoe store in Logan's case). I have resorted to counting heads (like a daycare) in order to make sure I have all of them with me when we are out. And I know you might be saying, "well, you do have 5 kids!" and that is exactly correct....I have 5 - FIVE - kids eating at my brain all day everyday!! It's amazing I am not sitting in a rubber room at the psych hospital right now. And I am sure as daddy would be explaining to Logan that mommy is at the hospital right now cause she went nuts, Logan would say, "why?"! And he would look totally innocent saying it too!

By the way, if you don't believe me, think about your own parents and their current capabilities. For example, my mom cannot operate a DVD player and has difficulties setting up her answering machine. Things that I often say "a monkey could do". I am sure as children my brothers and I stole that part of her brain with the constant nagging.

No comments: