Thursday, August 20, 2009

Salmon

A few weeks ago, my friend Jessica informed me of an emergency opening for dip-netting in Fish Creek for Red Salmon. I have only been dip-netting once in Minnesota and it was a lot of fun so I decided to give it a try. I was dog-sitting for Jessica so she left out her waders and boots and dip-net gear to go. I took Kristen, Autumn and Logan (should have left him at home!) with me and we headed out on a Friday morning at 5:15 AM. I wanted to be there and ready to start fishing at 6 AM.

Never have I worn waders in my life, so am sure I was styling in those things. The dip net is HUGE and barely fit in the back of my van. We got all ready and trudged down the steep hill to where we saw others vying for a spot. We went right into the creek (low tide and shallow at the time) to start fishing. It was shallow enough initially so you could see the fish coming downstream and watch them either totally avoid your net or swim right into it. As the tide came up, you couldn't see anything so you had no idea when a fish would hit until you felt the weight pulling on the dip net. I caught 10 fish in all, threw 5 back and then Logan was NOT having anymore of this watching his mother whack fish heads. He got crabby and whiney and wanted me to hold him (probably so I couldn't whack fish heads!) so it was time to pack it up and leave. It was fun though. The girls didn't catch any, even though they did hold the net for a little while...they are not as tough as me and couldn't hold it for long.

We are still enjoying our salmon. I smoked most of it after soaking it in a brine and it turned out great. I have some in the freezer and just pulled out a few pieces to make a salmon cheese ball that is currently chilling in the fridge. Can't wait to break out the crackers and devour it! Logan and Austin sure like the salmon, they kept bugging me for more bites when I was pulling it apart for the cheese ball.

1 comment:

my life said...

you are a brave woman! It sounded like fun though and I love salmon.. my fave fish