Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gratitude List

Life can get pissy. Let's face it, it isn't always sunshine and roses. We have crappy people in our life, crappy circumstances and overall crap to deal with at times. BUT, we don't always have to focus on that crap. We can choose to focus on the great things in our lives that we love and cherish. Why spend time dwelling on icky stuff when there are so many other things to do and more positive ways to spend our lives? So....I will start with my list:
Joanna's Gratitude list
1. Dave - I am so thankful for my husband coming into my life. He is really my 2nd half and makes me laugh and smile and feel good about myself. He is also strong and supportive.
2. My kids - All 5 of them!! They have all taught me so many things. It is because of them that I want to be a better person both inside and out.
3. My mom - Best mom ever. Supportive, best friend!!
4. My brothers and their families - They are the best I could have. I think about them and almost instantly laugh cause they are both so comical. I am proud to have them both as brothers. Of course their spouses ain't too bad either....Both of my brothers got lucky! I have very awesome sister-in-laws.
5. In-laws - no awful jokes about in-laws from me. I got very lucky. I have a great mother-in-law and supportive father-in-law that are always willing to help out with whatever. We get together often for dinner or cards or just hanging out. I couldn't have asked for a better set of in-laws. My sister-in-law, Ruthann is one of a kind. She has suffered great loss, but still keeps an upbeat attitude and smile. I have great respect for her and Darin. They are great parents and great people all around.
6. Family & Friends - there are way too many people to list off individually. I have a huge family that I love endlessly. My grandma, my aunts and uncles, my cousins, friends (online friends too!) that I think of as family, etc. I think of these people often and am thankful they are in my life.
7. Health - I am fairly healthy and working on improving that and my kids are all healthy too. That is a lot to be grateful for. There is so much suffering in the world. We are lucky and blessed!
8. Work - more than enough to keep us busy and useful. Plus the work that gives us the means to support our family.
9. Challenges - yes, challenges are what make us stronger people. Life is not a cake-walk for anyone I would guess. Everyone has their hardships and dark days. Its how we meet those challenges and overcome them that defines us. And remember, the person next to you scowling could be having one of those days. Instead of judging, show a bit of sympathy and compassion.
That is what I have time for at this moment. Work is calling (lunch for the kids) and not calling all that quietly, I might add. Feel free to do your own list for yourself or others to see.

No comments: