Saturday, February 21, 2009

Randomness

So I caught the Twilight bug. Its bad! Very, very bad. I am on the 3rd book - Eclipse - and I have to force myself to put it down and do other things. I do have to say though that I am slightly annoyed with how many times this auther uses some form of the word 'dizzy' in describing Bella's little moment's. Its dizzy, or dizzily or whatever so dang often. Isn't there some other synonym that she could have used?! I like the story though. I still haven't seen the movie though and am wondering if it would just ruin it for me. I have these pictures in my head of what the characters look like and all that and I am sure the Hollywood people didn't exactly match my thoughts with that one. Moving on....

Other books I am reading are: Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. As much as I would like to think I am one awesome parent (actually I don't think that!) I think it best that I get ideas from others and possibly see if things can improve. I am not too sure about this one yet, not even 20 pages in yet, but he seems to think that time outs and immediate discipline for misbehaviors in children is counter-productive. He talks about how its more important for children to know that you love them for them and not for their behaviors. I agree to a point I guess, but am still not sure about the way to go about that. I will finish the book and see how I feel later.

I am also reading The Five Love Languages of Children. It's a follow-up to The Five Love Languages - How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate by Gary Chapman. I purchased both books, just haven't started reading the second one yet. I had heard good things about both books. I feel like I am struggling with making sure all my kids know that I love them and feeling that I could use a little help with that. Its very easy to love a baby who does very little to test your patience, its completely different when you have older kids who purposely test your patience! Like I have said before, I love my kids fiercely and I want them to know that and it isn't always as easy as just saying, "I love you". You sometimes have to have different ways to show them and they each may have their different ways of receiving it best. So again, I am hoping to make myself a better person/parent and in the process help my kids grow to be caring/loving human beings. I guess I have to first work on myself (reading and studying) and then pass it on as best I can.

And finally, the last book I am reading is Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. which is about how much crap we put in our bodies that we call food. He has some pretty scary things he talks about and it scares me that I am doing that to my kids by what they eat...both at home and out at say McDonalds. Ick. I got this recommendation from my cousin Shays wife, Erica. He basically thinks that if we put the right food/nutrients in our body to nourish it, we will live healthier, longer lives with less disease. It makes sense to me. I have been trying to eat healthier as it is (down 25 lbs!) but I sometimes find it difficult to really know what to eat and how to prepare it. I really have to work at figuring those things out and planning our meals ahead of time, so I don't come down to scrambling to get dinner on the table and it ends up being something that isn't the best for us. Anyway, I hope I find some insight and motivation to do better by myself and my kids. Now if I could just get Dave to cut down on coffee?!

That is what my free time is consumed by lately, but I must run. Austin is stirring in bed....Good night!

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

Congrats on your lost 25 - that's awesome! Your reading list is so grown-up. I'm still grabbing paperbacks off the discount shelf. Although I have to say, I do love those Twilight books. I am so a Jacob Black kind of girl.

my life said...

I want to see twilight.. it is coming out on dvd march 21st and then new moon is actually in the making and will be out in the theater in nov... i am ready to read the next one after braking dawn.. sadly midnight sun isnt a sequal... her website states that is twilight through edward's perspective. however there was a leak of the incomplete draft on the 1st 12 chapters. she states on her website that she is putting the book on hold indefinetely. but i have read on a search that she is going to finish this book. she has a link to the 1st 12 chapters on her site... http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/index.html
but i haven't read it yet. .i am afraid i wont be able to get up from my chair.. lol