Friday, December 12, 2008

Autumn Estey


My cousin is still missing. The police think she is with a gang in the area. I am not sure if they are actively watching for her or not. I cannot even begin to imagine that she would be staying at her own free will right now. At this point I believe she is not free to do what she wants to do. I am sure she is terrified and doing what she is told. Everybody has heard the awful things that happen to people in gangs. Please keep your prayers going for her safety and her return home. Its scary to think that any 13 year old would be in that situation.
We are going to try and organize community members to rally or march against gangs to "Give Back Our Children!" I am not sure where to even start but I am sure other families have been affected by gang violence or had their children recruited and then hurt terribly. If you know of anyone that has any experience with these issues, PLEASE comment me and let me know. We are doing the research to try and reach out to the Black community, Latino community, Native community and any other group we can think of that may want to join us in this effort. The more people we have showing that strength, the better and safer it will be. I am looking for people that live in and around the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, but even if you know people in other states that may have experience, please let me know that too. Anyone who can offer advice, encouragement and direction would be helpful.
We often turn a blind eye to the nasty part of society that doesn't directly effect our own lives or the lives of our families. It is time people start voicing their displeasure and showing strength to help support people fighting this kind of stuff that hurts children and families.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew Autumn last year at the school I work at. My hopes and thoughts are for her and her friends safe return to their families.